 |
| Jacob in 5th grade, Julia in Kindergarten and Joey headed to her first day her YMCA "school". |
Because we were still in the middle of our move in August Allen and I finalized our decision to put the kids in public school this year. We knew where in Bismarck we wanted to live and I had even scoped out a school I really liked the look of. As luck would have it, our apartment complex was in just the right spot for Solheim Elementary. Here are some first day pictures. The kids love their school and their teachers. Julia has been talking about going to Kindergarten for months and months.
 |
| Color Guard that greeted students as they arrived at school. |
This is what we saw as we walked into the school. After I made sure the kids got to their classes, Joey and I were going to head up to the YMCA to get our family membership set up. As we were leaving the building the principal made and announcement for all the classes to meet out by the flagpole. I noticed some parents milling about and decided to wait and see what was going on.
 |
| Traditional first day flag raising. |
All the students came out (538) with their classes and gathered around. The principal explained that every year for the past 20 some odd years, Solheim had started their school year with a flag ceremony by the local VA branch. He then turned the microphone over to the color guard man in charge. The man took a few moments to explain what was going to happen, then explained some flag etiquette and told the kids what to do with their hands and hats and who should be saluting. Then they started the flag raising. As they put the flag on the pole a group of six or eight teachers sang the national anthem.
After all that the principal thanked the color guard and welcomed everyone to a new, great year at Solheim.
My apologies to Greenfield, PA Elementary School but ND schools ROCK!
GO COUGARS!
Can't wait till Jake's in high school then I can yell, GO DEMONS! and be totally justified.
 |
| Julia and Miss Moen |
I get the daily update on all the cute clothes Miss Moen wears and how nice and pretty she is. Julia loves her teacher.
2 comments:
so the whole time i was reading this i was asking myself if any where in pittsburgh they do this in school. i dont know the whole answer to that question, but i think its awesome!
That color guard is awesome. That is the first time that I have heard of that anywhere. It certainly gives the kids a lot of pride in their new school.
Post a Comment